Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Bicycle p.s.

While it kind of breaks my heart to have to report this, in the interest of full disclosure, I noticed something this evening as I was passing by some parked bikes--several had a discreet little "U" lock that attaches the frame to either the front or back wheel.  I imagine a lot of the Copenhagen bikes had those as well, but I just didn't notice them or know what to look for.  But the bright side is that A) not every bike here had one, and B) it's only a token lock.  Back in the U.S.  that wouldn't deter anyone--they'd either carry off your whole bike or just detach the parts they could walk away with.  Or get really mean and just slash your tires like someone did to my bike my freshman year of high school.

So I'm still going to cling to my belief/fairy tale that in Denmark, you don't have to worry about getting your bike stolen because everyone is so nice and respectful.

The End.

1 comment:

  1. When I was in Jr. High, I was late for school one morning and didn't have time to properly lock my bike. When school was over, I went out to the bike rack to discover someone had stolen my bike lock. That goes to show you want shape my bicycle was in. The person would rather have my lock than my bike. Sheesh!

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete