Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Last Day

After three trains and a few hours of travel, we arrived in a rainy, dreary Zurich.  Really, the weather seems like a reflection of what I'm feeling inside--inner weeping at the thought of this wonderful trip coming to an end.  After dumping our luggage, we walked around some of Old Town, which looks like this:



 
Aside from the churches, most of these buildings house very expensive stores--as in, so expensive I couldn't even afford to walk through the door much less purchase anything.  I stood at the window of the Jimmy Choo store and ogled a bit (they really are beautiful shoes, although I don't know how anyone walks in them), but I started to feel a little bothered when it became store after store after store.  They were all entirely empty of customers, which made them all start to seem like mini-museums of elite consumerism or artfully staged shrines to wealth.  Hence, no closer-up photos.  The one bright spot was the church behind this tacky ferris wheel being constructed for some upcoming festival or other.  This church, the Fraumunster, has stained glass windows by Chagall, which I had no idea about until our hotel concierge mentioned it in passing.
 
 


Photos aren't allowed inside the church, but do an internet search on Chagall's stained glass windows and you'll see why they're a favorite of mine.  In fact, I have one of them as the start-up screen on this computer, so it was an unexpected delight to be able to go see some in person. 
 
Because it was raining and not very pleasant to walk around outside, because we were tired, and maybe because really, this trip is over and now there's just the business of getting home, Peter and I decided to buy some dinner and treats at this amazing store (every glass display had treats to make your eyes pop) and head back to the hotel.
 
 
(dinner & treat)
 
To conclude (and alas, I must conclude), I couldn't have asked for or imagined a better 40th birthday trip, and I am so deeply thankful to have had the opportunity to experience all of this and to have a big brother who takes such good care of me (including but not limited to schlepping my heavy suitcase around) and is such a good travel companion.  Thanks also to those of you who have 'participated' along the way--I've enjoyed hearing from you and sharing my adventures with you.  Hopefully, there will be another one of these before too long.
 



3 comments:

  1. So you will be back in time for the Glen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, but I'm afraid all my travel money has been spent (and then some). I'll be with you in spirit, though, and look forward to hearing about it and seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what those plastic cards are for: to stretch you credit limits. Stretching is good for you.

    ReplyDelete