Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Walking and Wildlife

Today was another gorgeous day (we really lucked out on the weather), so we took the train to Lauterbrunnen, which is about a half hour ride from Gindelwald.  Once there, we decided to walk to the gondola station that would take us up to the little town of Mürren, spend a little time there, then walk the trail to Grütschalp and take the Gondola from that station back down to Lauterbrunnen.  To give you an idea of our route, we started where my finger is pointing on this map, went all the way to the left side and up, then all the way back to the right side and down again. 

 
It's amazing what a difference location makes.  If someone suggested that I walk for an hour and a half to get somewhere in Southern California, I would probably say something not very nice to them.  But walking an hour and a half one way, and then totally being up for walking another hour and a half to get back is kind of expected here in Switzerland.  Of course, if Anaheim looked anything remotely like here, I might be more willing to walk around more there.
 
(the first of numerous waterfalls)
 


(wildlife! or at least it's wildlife to someone like me)

(insert your own joke here)


 


(where the waterfalls go)
 


Mürren is a quaint little village high up on a mountain with about 400 residents and lots of charming chalet hotels.  Cars aren't allowed and there weren't very many people, so it was a very peaceful and relaxing place to have lunch.




(check out this little guy)

(here's what he was looking at)
 
Shortly outside of town, we spotted these lovely creatures, which my brother identified as chamois, a goat-antelope species native to the mountains of Europe (I looked up that last part online).
 


 
We continued our walk, pausing to take in and enjoy all the beauty around us.  Even when you're staring right at it, it's kind of hard to really wrap your brain around.
 







 
What made the walk complete for me was spotting some more cows.  I don't know why I love seeing them so much.  There's just something about their placid faces that makes me happy.
 
 
I felt pretty good while we were walking, but on the train ride home I almost fell asleep.  Considering I've tramped around over 12 miles in the past 3 days, I guess it makes sense that I'd be a little tired.  And sore.  I think a soak in a hot bath is in order.
 
The storm clouds are rolling in, which I suppose is fitting for the close of my trip.  Hard to believe that it's coming to an end so soon, but I'm going to put off thinking about that as much as I'm able to.  I'm still here, after all.
 






1 comment: