Friday, June 9, 2017

A Smaller Trip

In the last few months, I've been asked by a number of people if I'll be traveling somewhere this summer and, when I confirmed that I would be, was asked if I'd be continuing this blog. A big thank you to all of you who asked--it's nice to know my posts here are read and appreciated!

So where am I going? Niagara Falls and the nearby town of Niagara-on-the-Lake. I, like many others, consider Niagara Falls a must-see location on my bucket list, so I decided to go there for that and a few other reasons. [side randomness: whenever I use the phrase "bucket list" it makes me imagine someone crossing off their very last item with great satisfaction and then keeling over dead a second later, which makes me giggle. I know...something is deeply wrong with me.] 

The other reasons have to do with not really having enough money to go to Europe again just yet and not really wanting to deal with the hassle of going overseas. As much as I loved my trip to Belgium, England, and Wales last summer, being so constantly on the move and having to navigate the wild roads of northern Wales sans GPS/phone service made me long for something a bit simpler and more restful this summer. Also shorter--I'll be returning next Friday evening.

I didn't realize I'd chosen a destination so strongly associated with honeymoons and romance until nearly everyone who heard where I was going cooed and exclaimed, "Oh, how romantic!" and asked, "Is your boyfriend going with you?" Sadly, the boyfriend is not due to circumstances that make it just about impossible for him to travel with me any time in the near future. Fortunately, I am perfectly fine visiting romantic locations on my own and enjoying candle-lit dinners with my Kindle. I've already got it loaded up with a couple of mysteries.

The journey begins tomorrow with me flying to Buffalo, NY by way of Chicago and arriving in the wee hours. I'm prepared to spend Sunday and Monday wearing ugly plastic ponchos, getting soaked anyway, and having really bad hair. Not sure how much I'll be able to video and take pictures when I'm actually out on the water or walking under the falls (both of which I'm planning to do), but this little video gives you the idea. More soon...





5 comments:

  1. Yay! I'm looking forward to reading all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But are you going to have that epic soundtrack playing in your head while you're there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Isn't it great? I might have to play the video on my phone and hold it to my ear as I stand there in person.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad I'll be able to follow you on this adventure! Bon voyage!

    ReplyDelete