Saturday, June 10, 2017

It Begins With A Snafu

I was happily packing away and feeling very pleased with myself that everything was coming together nicely this morning when I got a notification that my first flight from Santa Ana to Chicago was delayed 30 minutes. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal, but considering this only leaves me 5 minutes to catch my connecting flight to Buffalo in a rather sizable and maze-like airport is a bit of an issue. 

When I checked in, the nice lady at the counter told me that sometimes flights make up time in the air and I can still make it, but if not, the airline would put me up at a hotel and fly me out first thing in the morning. As long as they are paying, I'd be okay with this option since my current plan gets me into Buffalo after midnight and I have a room booked at an airport hotel there. Also, having learned from lost and delayed luggage issues on past trips, I have a change of clothes and some basic toiletries in my carry- on. 

So, will I make my connecting flight or spend the night in Chicago? Tune in later to find out!

Hours later update: the flight attendants moved me up to the very first row in first class toward the end of the flight, somewhat to the consternation of the business man next to me who had been using the seat for his suit jacket. As soon as the plane landed, the flight attendants positioned me at the door like a racehorse at the gate, and as soon as it opened, I was off. Good thing I've been jogging more in the past year and wasn't wearing flip flops, because I had to do a hard sprint from one end of O'Hare to the other. Not only did I make it (sweaty and breathless) but I was happy to discover once I got to Buffalo that my bag had as well. The only problem left was that I was starving since there was obviously no time to pick up some dinner at O'Hare and everything was shut down in Buffalo. When I got to the hotel and asked if they had any food available for purchase, the woman at the desk said, "Oh, honey, go help yourself to some pizza! We have a bunch left over!" 



This, my friends, is no ordinary greasy piece of pizza. This is manna, and I received this good gift from God with thanks. But it has wheat! you might be thinking. Yes it does. But it's after 1:00 in the morning here and I. Do. Not. Care.  Besides, I only get stomach aches about 70% of the time and after overcoming today's many obstacles, I'm feeling lucky. 




5 comments:

  1. Your bag made it too! That's great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Diana! Nice when that happens, right? 😉

      Delete
  2. Traveling can be such a chore, but I hope your destination makes it all worthwhile. Thank goodness for leftover pizza. Enjoy Niagara!
    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job on the upgrade to boot! Well done you. The school lunch pizza looks amazing, too. ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the upgrade lasted about 15 minutes, but I got a fancy-wrapped mint out of it, at least. And yes, that pizza *totally* looks like a school lunch pizza!

      Delete