Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Birthday Wowza

Though my brother had booked us two standard rooms at our hotel in Salzburg, apparently since it's my birthday (and the rooms weren't otherwise booked, I presume), they upgraded both of us to suites.  And mine is the suite of suites!  I am still pinching myself that this is all real and not some elaborate movie set I've wandered into.  Here are some shots of where I'll be staying for the next three nights (the bathroom alone is bigger than some hotel rooms I've been in before!).

 
 

Given the opulence and how unexpected this level of upgrade was, my response is perhaps understandable:


Added to that were the long-stemmed roses my brother had ordered for me, along with a beautiful (and very tasty) birthday cake left by the hotel staff. 



After settling ourselves (I almost felt like I had to apologize to the ornate wardrobe for hanging my shabby Target sweaters and Gap T-shirts in them), we got gussied up and headed down to the hotel's dining room, where Peter treated me to a 5-course gourmet dinner.  I don't think I've ever used so many pieces of silverware in my life.  I can't even begin to describe the food, but trust me when I say I'll remember this dinner for years to come.  After dinner, we Skyped with my father and oldest brother's family, giving them a 'tour' of my room and some of the views from my windows. 

I feel so full right now, and not just because I ate a ton of food.  I feel full of joy and gratitude to be able to experience all of this, to have a brother who has treated me so generously to experiences I wouldn't be able to have otherwise, and to be able to share this (thanks to technology) in some small way with all the dear people whose friendships I treasure.  Thanks to those of you who have been following me on my adventures and sending encouraging words.  My love to you all!




No comments:

Post a Comment