Sunday, June 30, 2013

Gorgeous Views Galore

The Swiss Alps aren't famous for nothing, as I am quickly discovering.  I got out of bed this morning, stepped out on my balcony, and saw this:



Since rain will be moving in again in the next day or two, we decided to take advantage of today's good forecast and go up the mountain.  I am slowly and painfully coming to terms with the fact that everything here costs a fortune, including a gondola ticket (that would be $60 U.S.).  I quickly forgot the sting of that price once we got going.  It brought back fond memories of riding over Disneyland through the fake Matterhorn, only this time it was the real deal. 










Once at the top, we did a hike (really, they are very nicely laid out paths) out to Bachalpsee Lake.  Things were still pretty misty and overcast at the top, but it was still incredibly beautiful.  We sat and enjoyed the views and our picnic lunch, then hiked back to the gondola station. 












On the ride up, we thought the section between Grindelwald and the first gondola station looked really pretty, so on the way down we decided it might be nice to get out and walk from that station back to Grindelwald.  It was extraordinarily beautiful.  The mountains!  The creeks and waterfalls!  The wildflowers in the meadows!  The trees!  The charming barns and chalets!  (everything deserves an exclamation point because it's just that beautiful)










But for anyone who thinks going downhill is a piece of cake, think again.  It is, in fact, rather hard on a body--especially when it goes on for two hours.  I don't think my knees, lower back, or toes will ever forgive me.  But that's okay, because we came across this place where a woman lives with her cows and makes giant wheels of cheese, which we sampled and bought a small section of (though we joked about rolling one down the rest of the mountain).  I don't know why that cancels out all my aches and pains, including slipping on some gravel at one point and bruising my hip (this is the trip of ice-packs), but it does.  Maybe because it's not often you get to see the cows your cheese comes from and say thanks.






All in all, we walked/hiked for a total of about four hours today.  I have a feeling I'll sleep well tonight. 

p.s.  Swiss cow video (more cowbell!)

No comments:

Post a Comment