Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Hallo, Berlin!

After a (sleepless) 11-hour flight from LAX, it was lovely to be met by my friend Andrea, who was there to pick up both me and her husband Bill's mother, who came in on the same flight.  First impression of Berlin:  trees everywhere.  I had not expected such lush greenery all over, so that is a pleasant surprise.  On the drive home from the airport, we passed a small field that Andrea (a native Berliner) said used to be an outdoor theater where the American military watched films.  In the field now is a plane Andrea said is one of the original "Candy Bombers"--American planes that flew into Berlin during the Soviet blockade and would drop candy for the German children who gathered outside.  Andrea's mother remembers getting some of these 'deliveries' as a child, and Andrea explained that the term "care package" entered the German language as a result of these candy drops.

Emma & Mia, the two lovely daughters of the household, have generously surrendered their playroom to me and welcomed me with colorful signs they made.  Here they are, ready to go hear a visiting Obama give a speech at the Brandenburg Gate later this afternoon:

 
Berlin is experiencing quite the heat wave, so I am enjoying the cool morning breezes with my tea out on the balcony while I can.  Later, I'll be adventuring out to explore some of the city and get to know the public transportation system.  I'm a little nervous about this as navigation/directions are not my strong suit even in a city where I know the language and can read signs easily.  More on my explorations later.  Right now, enjoy my view from the balcony. 

No comments:

Post a Comment