Monday, June 13, 2016

Arrival in Antwerp

When I booked my flight back in March, United offered me a deal where I could upgrade to first/business class on one of the flights if I paid an extra chunk of money and used 20,000 of my miles. Since flying for long periods of time jammed into a seat built for a person who weighs no more than 90 pounds means I usually don't sleep at all on overseas flights, I decided it would be worth it to go for it this time around, especially since I had a 9:00am arrival and would have to stay awake all day. My leg from LAX to Chicago was still economy, but I had first class for Chicago to Brussels, and let me tell you, the world beyond the curtain is a very different one than in coach. I had barely reached my seat and hadn't even sat down before a flight attendant rushed up to me and said, "Welcome, Ms. Lo! Can I get you started with something to drink?" What the what?? So I asked for some wine, then sat down and reveled in how much space was in front of me and how cushiony the seat was.
Then we got presents: a little pack with an eye mask, beauty products, toothbrush, toothpaste, and socks. They bring you a hot, lemon scented towel to wipe your hands before dinner, a table cloth for your tray when your meals arrive, as much booze as you want (I stopped after my welcome glass of wine--jet lag is bad enough without a hangover), and a massage therapist comes around and gives you a foot rub. Okay, that last one doesn't actually happen, but it felt like it could. After dinner, I watched a little TV, then stretched out in my flattened recliner, and slept for about 2 1/2-3 hours. It wasn't a great sleep due to frequent turbulence, but it was still some sleep. 

I landed and got to the shuttle bus I needed with plenty of time to spare, and my first stop was Central Station, which is a beautiful place to start:




It was also a practical place to start as it not only had a little cell phone store where I could buy a local SIM card, but also a tourist information office with a really nice staff. This was especially helpful considering that I forgot to ever print out directions or a map to my hotel from the station. Turns out it's just behind the station. The employees at the Hotel Lindner and City Lounge were also kind enough to not only check me in at 11:30 am, but they also randomly upgraded me to a room with a city view and a balcony. 


After dropping my stuff and getting some lunch at Le Pain Quotidian next door, I decided the best way to keep awake was to keep moving, and walked about 20 minutes to the Cathedral of Our Lady 




 Altar piece by Rubens





 and the Grote Markt, which is an area full of historic buildings, bars, shops, and restaurants




Just a few steps away from Grote Markt, is a short, windy little road called Vlaaikensgang, which seems straight out of another time:


Another shot of the area near Grote Markt. See those dark clouds in the background? 


 Well, they turned into this, a downpour strong enough to make tourists run screeching for cover, and the cafe workers all cluster at entrances taking photos.



I decided to take advantage of the waffle place on the corner that had a large awning and sit/eat it out. I've never been so thankful for an awning in my life! And the waffle was pretty tasty too.



I waited there about 25 minutes,  but I was finding it hard to keep my eyes open, so I started walking again. Five soaked minutes later, I flagged a taxi,  and now I'm back at the hotel, drying out and still fighting to keep my eyes open. My goal is to make it to 8:00pm Antwerrp time. 

On a more serious note, even though I'm miles away, yesterday's mass shooting in Florida weighs heavy on my heart, as I'm sure it does on everyone's. The news footage was on the TV screens as I boarded my flight, and it was playing behind the woman checking me in here at the hotel. As I watched that and noticed the heightened security at the Brussels Airport and even the process required for obtaining a SIM card (they can no longer be sold anonymously in Belgium or France, but must be registered with full identification information), I am reminded that there is no really 'safe' place. All it takes is someone who's crazy or fanatical getting their hands on some weapons. But while we can't do a whole lot about the crazy/fanatical part, we can do something about the weapons part. Or let's at least try.



1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful place and I love Le Pain Quotidien. Thanks for the write up.

    ReplyDelete