Sunday, June 19, 2016

Belgium to the UK

Last night, I found myself rather sad I was leaving Belgium. Or maybe I was just sad at the thought of leaving my luxury suite and this view:


In case you've ever wondered what Dutch/Flemish are like, here's a taste (subtitles for a BBC mystery I was watching):


Today has been quite a journey. I left my B&B a few minutes after nine this morning and caught a tram to the train station. Then I took a train to the airport (it was actually two trains--I had to change in the center of Brussels), then flew to London. It was rather sobering to see all the soldiers and police at the Brussels airport, armed to the teeth, although it did make me feel a little safer. Got to London and shuffled in a line for 45 minutes waiting for someone to look at my passport and admit me to the UK. Then went to a cell phone shop and got a new SIM card. Then went to the car rental place and got my car for the next 8 days. Even though I've done this before, it's always unnerving to see this:


My phones GPS also seemed to be disoriented (if not downright addlepated) because the lady-voice kept telling me wrong things or not registering "decision" moments at all--like, do I got to the left or the right?? So I probably circled the Heathrow area for an extra 15 minutes before getting on the right track. GPS had a few more hiccups along the way (at one point sending me down a dead-end), but I finally reached my destination and almost sobbed with relief. I am now in Burford, Oxfordshire. I hurt my neck/shoulder with all the schlepping about of luggage, and what with that and the exhaustion of the day, and the fact that it is still grey and raining (EVERYWHERE I GO), and my room here smells like old cigarette smoke and fish 'n chips (this is a pub/inn combo), I must admit I'm wishing a bit that I were home. Or on an organized tour where someone figures out everything for me. Independence is stressful!

But, as they would say here in England, I really need to stop whinging (pronounced "WIN-jing" and meaning about the same thing as whining like a big baby) and appreciate the fact that I am in a lovely environment. Also, I've encountered nothing but friendly and nice people so far--all willing to answer questions and point me in the right direction and even let me do a load of laundry (the owner of this pub/inn). So there's that. And there's this, which is what I saw in just a 15 minute walk around here:





The Angel (pub/inn where I'm staying):


Random but significant tidbits: on my last leg of the drive, I found a radio station broadcasting an evensong service. It was deeply moving to hear them remembering the victims in Orlando during their prayers and realize that people around the world are paying attention and care. Also, I kept seeing "Vote Leave" signs on the side of the highways and am reminded that a very big vote is coming up on Thursday--citizens of the UK will be voting on whether or not they want to leave the European Union or stay. Seems like most want to leave. According to my bicycle guide in Antwerp, plenty of Belgians want to leave the EU as well--apparently, they are tired of bailing out countries like Greece and Italy. Interestingly enough, the last time I was in the UK, the big debate was over Scotland's election over whether to remain part of the UK (they did, but by a smaller majority than was expected). 

Finally, Happy Father's Day to all you dads out there! I'm missing my own and look forward to the next time I can talk to him.



No comments:

Post a Comment