Sunday, June 26, 2016

Birthday with the Bard

After a long drive south (about 3 hours), I reached Stratford-upon-Avon. I've been here before, so didn't feel a need to actually go inside any of the historic buildings, which was kind of a relief considering I was too tired to really enjoy doing that and am also tired of paying admissions fees. What was free and didn't require much was simply walking around town taking photos of places like...

Shakespeare's birthplace


A restaurant in honor of Kit Marlowe (who some believe could have been a serious rival to Shakespeare had he lived long enough)





And the public library


Perhaps the building that makes me happiest at this point is my B&B, which promises to be extremely comfortable and quiet. I am especially appreciative of quiet after having listened to whoever was staying in the room above me at my previous location stomping around and banging drawers and cupboards and talking loudly until midnight.



The one place I did enter and didn't mind paying a fee to (it was a tiny fee) was Holy Trinity Church, where Shakespeare and his family are buried.








He's here! sort of...



Actual entries of Shakespeare's baptism and death:

According to the little pamphlet guide, they give this bust a new quill every year on his birthday.

I later attended their evening service, which was lovely. A bit more formal than what I am used to, but church is church, in the end, and I've been missing it on my travels. After evensong, I headed to dinner at Lamb's, which is housed in a 16th-century building and has the low beams and plaster walls to prove it.



They tucked me in a cozy corner where I had a great view and immediately presented me with a complimentary glass of champagne and happy birthday wishes. This didn't stop me from ordering a nice red wine to go with my amazing dinner. I had messages via Facebook and text from many loved ones throughout the meal, so I didn't feel alone at all. Also, I had a good book.







Tomorrow is my last day driving. I'm returning the car to Heathrow and taking the tube (with all my luaggage) into London. While I'm not looking forward to that part of things, I am very much looking forward to meeting up with some dear friends from home in Oxford and then seeing my brother in London. And now to video chat with family and relax on that comfy bed! Thanks to everyone who sent me birthday wishes and shared that you've been reading/enjoying this blog! It means a great deal to me to know that!


4 comments:

  1. I hope you bought yourself a birthday present and had dessert with that dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark chocolate ice cream (they put a candle in it), which was delicious. And this whole trip is my present :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the post. May you enjoy awakening tomorrow older and wiser. You'll need the wisdom to navigate the tube with your luggage. Age, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think the older part is going to work against me.

      Delete