Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Beautiful Bruges

Last night's sleep was pretty poor, in spite of getting to see this great view in the evening as I was winding down



but I'm not one to let lack of sleep and the resulting migraine stop me from searching out great chocolate. There are chocolate shops practically on every street, but according to Steven, the bicycle guide, a lot of them sell chocolate made in factories. He recommended Burie chocolates, which had a shop about a 20 minute walk from my hotel. I headed out after breakfast, and when I arrived, I immediately knew it had been worth it.

 The smell upon entering the shop immediately set my mouth watering. I think I teared up a little as well, just from the joy of being in the presence of so much beautiful chocolate. I bought some treats as gifts and a couple for myself, which I have yet to sample (migraines, even after I take my meds, can make me a little queasy--I'm waiting until I can enjoy it fully). On my walk back, I spied one of the ubiquitous hands of Antwerp.



Then it was back to the hotel to grab my bags and get on the train to Bruges. Even though the taxi driver taking me from the train station to the B&B seemed intent on running down tourists (several shrieked and jumped/ran out of the street to avoid him), which was slightly distracting, I knew immediately that I was going to be one of those deep-sighing Bruges-lovers. I took about 75 photos in the first three hours I was here, which tells you something.

I am staying at a lovely B&B just steps from an even lovelier bridge over the canal--the Number 11 Exclusive Guesthouse. I was greeted by the manager, who informed me that I was the only guest for tonight. She just had a couple leave and has two more couples coming tomorrow, but I have the house to myself tonight as she lives in another home down the street. It's a little weird to be here by myself, but the beauty of the place and all the birdsong and voices that drift in through the windows keeps me from being lonely, as do the carillon bells that play a little tune at the striking of each hour.

Check out this loveliness:
the exterior

downstairs lounge

garden in back


my room



the tub I'll be soaking in a little later

But that's nothing compared to the loveliness outside. These views are just a few steps away:


I saw some boats cruising up and down the canal full of tourists, so I followed the canal for a bit and found the ticket booth. I barely registered what the driver of the boat was saying because what I was seeing with my eyes kind of incapacitated my other sense for a little while.








As you can see in the photos, though, the sky was full of clouds and rain would sprinkle every now and then, blowing in our faces with a stiff breeze. Sadly, this weather pattern has resulted in the hot air balloon ride I booked getting cancelled. I was really excited about getting to experience that, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. So, to get my lofty views of Bruges, I decided to climb the Belfort tower instead. The stairs were a little intimidating, but it really wasn't too bad in the end, and the views were worth it.


 going up

coming down




the bells


I worked up an appetite climbing all those stairs, so headed for the pub the B&B manager recommended.

This time dinner was chicken and frites with a side salad. In spite of my attempt to be somewhat healthy with the chicken and salad, the frites (which were amazeballs) are served with flavored mayonnaise. Yes, mayonnaise. Here in Belgium, you dip starchy fried food into more fat, and it's delicious. It's also probably sending my cholesterol levels through the roof. But all those stairs!

My last venture out was to sit in the courtyard of Belfort for a carillon concert. I lasted for about 25 minutes and then headed back to my B&B. Turns out I can hear it just fine here as well. A little taste:



One last shot with the evening light (taken about 9:30 pm)


Finally, thanks for all the wonderful comments--you are good company on this trip! And now for that bath...


6 comments:

  1. It's so pretty! I'm glad you had a fallback plan after the balloon was cancelled -- the views from the tower were great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a Bruges lover now, too! Thanks for taking us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. O.M.g. Absolutely stunning! Bummer about the hot air balloon ride but how dreamy to have that gorgeous B&B to yourself. And, I teared up at that delectable chocolate. Paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. now i'm just jealous, I stayed an extra night there when I went 20+ years ago because of all the "loveliness" as you call it. That town is my jam

    ReplyDelete
  5. The vicarious delight I take in reading your travel diary certainly whets the appetite to follow in your footsteps. Thanks for taking the time and effort to keep us all informed, delighted, and envious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So very beautiful! Hope your migraine goes away and doesn't return? How's that chocolate, btw?

    ReplyDelete