Monday, June 27, 2016

London (aka the beginning of the end)

Today was my last day of driving, and I made good use of it by stopping in Oxford to meet up with some dear friends from home, who also happen to be visiting the UK right now and were in Oxford for the day. And what better place for good friends to meet than the hangout of the Inklings (C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, etc.). It was a bit rushed as I had to get on the road to return my rental car in time not to incur any nasty fees, but it was so wonderful to see familiar faces and connect in such a special place.


the wonderful Doud family

You know how I was going to take the tube from Heathrow to my hotel? Well, this morning I decided, "Screw that!" and looked up a service online that was very reasonable. I figure that's a very good use of birthday money. I must say, it was bliss to have someone else navigating the roads and navigating turns and just sitting. Also listening. My driver, a Kurd from northern Iraq, was very happy to talk about Brexit, which he voted for. He's lived in London for 17 years now, gone to university here, etc. and as he put it, "It's like a parent having seven children instead of just one or two--then everyone has to share the biscuits and there's not enough, right?" He then went on to talk about how all politicians are totally corrupt and nothing that happens politically is going to change his life much--"Just live your life!" was his constant refrain during the drive. So, the face of Brexit isn't always what you might expect. 

Aside from my key card reader not working (I have to get a staff member to let me into my room each time. Supposedly this will be fixed tomorrow), my room is very comfortable and even decently roomy for a London hotel room. It helps that I have a gorgeous birthday bouquet of roses from my boyfriend to spruce things up.


And this is also pretty nifty--a kitchen in the closet!

 My brother Peter gallantly traveled to my hotel (he's staying all week in a hotel a few stops away) and then we went to Westminster to ride the London Eye. Along the way, Big Ben chimed the hour for us.

London Eye

It goes very slowly, but it's still a little disconcerting that it doesn't stop when you board. About twenty of you kind of run onto it as it glides by you on the platform. But we made it safely, and here's a shot of me with my brother. So good to be with family!


A shot of the bubble pod in front of us--these things are really large.

some of the views



(I'm bigger than Big Ben!)

We then walked to Peter's hotel, which is about a block or two from Buckingham Palace.


This is the fancy "Executive Lounge" where guests get to hang out under a beautiful skylight.

 I didn't get a picture of it because I was too busy trying to keep my eyes from popping out, but they have a whole buffet of goodies--everything from candied almonds and wasabi peas to bags of candy. I went for the peas and almonds, which you can see partially eaten below.


We also got served drinks, and then one of the staff brought us these little canapes, which were delicious.

I was in heaven. If I were staying in that hotel, I don't know if I would ever leave that room. Oh, they also had a freezer full of individual containers of ice cream. I eyed it longingly but decided to pass since we were on our way to...dinner. Yes, more eating. We walked around Covent Garden first.


It was a great day and I am very glad to be here, but I am also pretty beat. Tomorrow is going to be another busy day, including (at this point) a Secret London walking tour, some time in the British Museum, and then dinner with a former student of mine who's a video game programmer and has been living here for years. Then, it will be time to pack up and prepare to leave. That said, I don't know that I will have time to complete a post tomorrow, but I will do so once I'm home. Or maybe there will be time at the airport--who knows! Either way, there will be a better conclusion than this.

Time for bed...



No comments:

Post a Comment